Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring Break…What Break?

So last week was a very busy time for me, while I didn’t have school I found many ways to fill up that time. For starters I took part in the Advancing Youth Development training. Advancing Youth Development (AYD) Partnership offers professional development for youth workers in New York State. Using a train-the-trainer model, teams of trainers from a variety of youth serving organizations are recruited, trained and then supported in the provision of AYD trainings in their Home Counties or regions. They are also offer new, one-day, skill building workshops that address one of the ten core competency areas – skills, knowledge and attributes needed to do effective youth work – outlined by the National Collaboration for Youth.

This was the type of training I attended; the topic was Creating Inclusive Environments for LGBTQ Youth. While at my AmeriCorps placement this isn’t something I work directly with, it was a timely topic and something that I can come in contact more as I finish my Master and start looking for a full time job.

More than just the material what I took away from the training is the importance to make a welcoming environment, not only for youth but also for co workers. We were talking about sensitive topic and a topic with various levels of education. The presenters did a great job at making the training open to questions and offer advice. They came up with problems and situations and helped us work through them.

I also help do a presentation at Youth Bureau’s Annual 7th and 8th Grade Leadership Conference. Students heard from a speaker about the effects bullying has on brain development. While there was a wide range of topics and subject the workshop I helped in dealt with Asset Development and how to use that approach to be a better friend and how to be a positive support and influence on their peers. In the afternoon the students help in the creation of a service project that we are working on for the RSVP luncheon.

I also had a meeting for Young Christians at Work last week. A large number of the team met to start going over the details of the week. I am so excited about the program this year and also for the students to go through program. I learn something new every year and can only imagine and pray for how much the students will grow from the program.

I also attended an early morning meeting for Fabulous Females Luncheon, mark your calendars!!! The YWCA annual Fabulous Females Luncheon will take place May 7th at Genesee Community College. It’s an event were we not only recognize outstanding women in our community but celebrate all women and how fabulous we are all are.

I also had A.J. Birthday last weekend!!! We celebrated by going out on Friday and having a party with his friends on Saturday. Sunday I attend the annual St. Joe’s Table at my church and had dinner with AJ family to celebrate his birthday.

I am also in the process of preparing to leave of a conference in Ithaca this week and getting excited for my Leadership Genesee Class meeting on Wednesday! Finally I am looking forward to Voices of Experience event tomorrow night at GCC. Other things that are coming up to look forward to: Zonta’s annual Lucky Numbers Lunch April 9th (my birthday) at the Batavia Downs! Tickets for that event are going fast, let me know if you are would like tickets.

Now if I can only have a break from my vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment