Sunday, August 21, 2011

Failure

This is probably the one thing we all worry about, however looking back at my life. Fear of failure has been a driving force in my life. It was made me work hard even when I was in the darkest parts of my depression in high school. It what made me figure out a new plan in life as others began to feel impossible to reach.

The problem with failure is while it can be a great motivator; it can also stop you from reaching your real goals. Trying and failing is a lot scarier then really wanting to do something and deciding not to even if you really want to. That isn’t always the easiest thing to admit. There have been a ton of times in life that I have choice the path that was easier then maybe the one I really wanted to take. Sometimes it was because it wasn’t practical, other times because I was just too scared too.

I am currently reading “The Power of Now” by Eckhart Tolle, it spends a lot of the book talking about staying in the present and that worrying about the future or thinking and reliving the past are not good for your soul and to be truly enlighten human being. Fear to him lives in those two areas the past and the future because we can completely control the present but nothing else.

So really have goals but just focus on the next step you must take in front of you and in doing this you will not have the fear of failure in your mind. This is much easier said than done, believe me! This isn’t something that I am even close to being good at or mastering.

Mary Kay Ashe once said she had the bloodies knees in the room because she fell down more times than anyone else to get where she was. While I have no doubt that this is true…doesn’t that scare us all a little bit? The idea how many times you have to try and fail to get what we want. At what point have we fallen enough to know it will never happen? In reality, that is something each person must figure out for themselves. I just read an article that the writer of “The Help” got over 90 rejection letters before someone would pick up her book. Only you know when you are done.

“Life's real failure is when you do not realize how close you were to success when you gave up.”

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever read about Ernest Shackleton and his disastrous Polar expedition? This man had everything possible go wrong, but he never quit. Very inspirational.

    http://ceo.usc.edu/pdf/Shackleton-Leadership_in_Crisis.pdf

    ReplyDelete