Saturday, May 8, 2010

Earth Day

Service is something that has truly help to change my life. I am a firm believe that you can learn so much more about yourself when you lose yourself in the service of other. Saturday April 24th I was able to take part is a planting project at the Dewitt Recreation Area on Cedar Street. I was asked to lead the youth that came out in a number of projects. The day started with them painting bird houses and bat boxes, in case you ever want to paint them remember to not cover the whole bird houses with paint they will get to hot. We then help to plant trees, many thanks to Greg Briggs for helping to teach the kids how to plant the trees. Greg was the master mind behind the whole project and came up with the idea. Also big thanks have to go out to Genesee County AmeriCorps for helping to make it a reality and for asking me to help out and be a group leader. The youth also helped to make bird feeds and hang the bird houses.

It was very rewarding to help the youth create and beautify the area. I am also very proud to have taken part in the planning of the project. It was also very inspiring seeing how people use their natural talents to help the larger community they live in. It also helps me to step back and rethink how I can further use my talents and gifts to help the larger community.

About 50 adults and youths were volunteering for the Genesee County Earth Day Celebration. It was a great way to celebrate earth day, but I hope that we all make changes to our lives not just on earth day but all year long.



No comments:

Post a Comment