Sunday, November 21, 2010

Promise Me Anything

I have a deep love for Annette Joanne Funicello. It seems odd because I wasn’t alive during the height of her popularity; however my legal guardian has been a huge fan of her since the mouse year days. On top of that her and my legal guardian share fighting the same disease. They both suffer from MS or Multiple sclerosis which is a disease that causes brain and spinal cord are damage. Almost any neurological symptom can appear with the disease, and often progresses to physical and cognitive disability. MS takes several forms, with new symptoms occurring either in discrete attacks (relapsing forms) or slowly accumulating over time (progressive forms). Between attacks, symptoms may go away completely, but permanent neurological problems often occur, especially as the disease advances. There is no known cure for MS. Treatments attempt to return function after an attack, prevent new attacks, and prevent disability. Symptoms included numbness; loss of balance and loss of memory are some among a lot of others.

In my guardian’s cause she suffers from relapsing form, at one point she was unable to walk for several days before regaining her ability. Multiple sclerosis can be difficult to diagnose since its signs and symptoms may be similar to other medical problems. In Annette’s case her lost of balance was blamed by many in the public as a result of alcoholism, this was when she chose to go public with her condition.
November was National Caregivers Month and MS is a disease that requires amazing care givers who are will to go above and beyond. MS is a horrible, tough disease that takes away people’s quality of life and it has personally effect my life for many years.

With Thanksgiving coming up, I have so much to be thankful for personally one of them is that my legal guardian can still walk. I know so many families that have a person suffering with MS cannot say that and or live like I do grateful for everyday she wakes up and walks around.

My Legal Guardian and I

No comments:

Post a Comment