Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Busy Vicky

Trip to Albany

Hey everyone last week I was able to spend time in Albany in support of the youth bureau system. This is an annual trip that youth bureau across the state bring youth from their area on. It’s a two day event where kids get to take part in workshops and also meet with the elected representatives. However this year the trip was more important than ever. Days before the event took place the Governor’s budget was released and it was not good for youth bureaus at all. In the budget he eliminates youth bureaus and makes funding for youth programming a competitive grant.

A youth bureau is an agency created by Counties and Cities, or a Town or Village with a total population of 20,000 or more, for the purpose of planning, coordinating and supplementing the activities of public, private, and religious agencies devoted to the welfare and protection of youth. The youth bureau system embodies the definition of youth development as an ongoing process in which children and adolescents seek ways to meet their personal and social needs, building skills and competencies that allow them to be successful and function effectively in their daily lives. Youth development recognizes the potential which young people possess and builds upon their strengths.

Youth bureaus help promote the physical, emotional and social well being of youth and families in New York State. Each youth bureau currently receives funding from the state based on a population formula. They can then use the funding to help fund programs that help meet the needs of their local youth population. This allows youth from across the state opportunities to take part in programs including summer recreation.

In other news…..

Beyond this I have been keeping very busy with school lately, I have my first paper due next Monday and at the end of this month I will be taking my midterms! I also leave next weekend for the Miss Finger Lakes Pageant and I am looking forward to it so much. I also made a very snowy trip to with Amy V to see Miss Fulton County and I am so excited to congratulate my pageant sister, Kieren Sheridan on becoming Miss Fulton County!!!! Also first runner up Danielle Trumbull, my other very good friend second runner up Amanda Boyer who was also overall talent and interview awards winner!!!!

This upcoming weekend I will be speaking on a panel at the 59th annual Diocesan of Buffalo Youth Conference. Check out a Youtube video of the event. It is something I took part in as a youth and I am so happy I have been ask back to speak about my faith journey. I am still trying to figure out my words of what I will say. Hopefully it will be finished soon and I will share it with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment