Friday, August 27, 2010

Bittersweet

Today was one of those bitter sweet days. Sweet because I will be starting my masters’ as of Monday, also bitter for the same reason. But it was bitter for a much larger reason. Today was my last day at my law internship and Muldoon and Getz.

I have been able to spend the summer with an amazing group of people to help me understand and learn about the legal field and what it is really like. I learn how much you really do as a lawyer and how much work you put in sometimes (a hundred hours) just to have everything change in a case in a couple days. But I also so how truly scary and difficult the legal process can be, and why having a lawyer is always smart. And for goodness sake keep your mouth shut until they show up ;)

I was very lucky where I was able to learn all these very important lessons, and great teachers to. First I will start with the most important person, Venita. Venita is the receptionist and if you doubt her importance you haven’t seen inside a law firm before. She deals with ever client and all the members of the staff….that is no easy task at times.

There are also the beautiful and talents Lisa and Karen, who know how to put together documents and what is needed in every type of case better than most. Plus Karen always has a way of making you laugh.

There is Gary, who knowledge of the written word is unbelievable. And can recall facts on cases from years ago at the drop of the hat. Beyond that he literally wrote the book on handling a criminal case in New York…look it up I am for real.

Then there is Jon, who is the reason I was able to intern at this amazing place this summer. Jon was one of my professors at SUNY Brockport, and sadly helped to nurture this crazy idea of mind to be a lawyer. And still encouraged it after he saw I really wasn’t as smart as he thought I was. Beyond being a great teacher (my grades are closed so you know it’s true) he can survey facts and package then in briefs and into cases. Oddly enough a student who was in a class I had with him asked me if he was as nice as he seemed in class, I can honestly say he is nicer. Plus after a week he doesn’t seem as scary.

Finally there is Marty, who despite is attempts to show me how being a lawyer is a terrible idea, with little luck, still let me pal around with him. He also took me on my down town Rochester culinary tour, I can find all the best places to eat blind folded. He also had the best special guest who showed me different areas of law. I am much more prepared for law school thanks to his guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment