Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Long Time Gone

Sorry it’s been so long!!!! School and work have been keeping me very busy lately. So let me give you a rundown of what I been up to lately. I went to SUNY Brockport’s main campus earlier this month to speak to the undergraduate students about the benefits of AmeriCorps and about my involvement in the program. I will be going tomorrow to talk to all the seniors at Pavilion High School about the program also. I have been able to sit in on a couple of trainings and spoke to the Human Service Council in Orleans County about AmeriCorps as while.

I also helped out at the Just Friend Halloween event where I got to bob for apples. The kids and I had a great time. I also help plan the Make a Difference Day activity for the Batavia High Seniors that came to the Genesee County Youth Bureau for the day. They help us test out a blanket making project for MLK day of service and make posters for the event also. More information will be coming soon on it I promise.

Beyond this I also got the first AmeriCorps newsletter out and starting to work on quizzes and surveys for the members. It has been a lot of work and also a lot of fun. I love and enjoy my placement so much and learn something new every day.

I also had my 2nd annual pumpkin carving party this month. Halloween was always my favorite holiday and my mom also loved it. All my friends came over and work on their pumpkins together and made some great designs. It’s something in enjoying doing and I definitely want to make it a yearly tradition.

In other news Mary Kay has been amazing. I am excited to say we have two unit members on target for their cars and one in DIQ. I can’t wait to see how many new directors we have this year. We also surprise Shelley with her housewarming gift last night. I am so lucky to have so many amazing women I get to help and work with. It was a great event. We also had a NEW RED JACKET and I am sooo proud of Jennifer she has been working so hard to that goal.

Also with Mary Kay I am very happy to say that the Pink Sirens (that’s our unit name) took part in the Albion Making Strides against Breast Cancer Walk and raised over 800 dollars toward research and finding a cure!!!! Now that is pink power right there!!!!!!!

I am off to New Jersey this weekend for the Fall Go Give Advance, it going to be a great time with everyone but it’s an extra special trip for me. I will be getting to also spend time with my cousin Jennifer and help celebrate Olivia’s (her daughter) 4th birthday!!!!!!!! I cannot believe how big and grown up she is getting.

I promise I will update you on my amazing weekend when I get home!!!!!

PS: This month is not only Breast Cancer Awareness month; it is also Bullying Prevention month with the tragic national events as of late. Please reach out to youth, sometimes they really need someone to listen. Never underestimate the power of a kind word

1 comment:

  1. I feel like a celebrity, getting mentioned in your blog! Can't wait to see you. -Jen

    ReplyDelete